Monday, October 10, 2011

Circle Tour

This Summer I was able to take a trip around Lake Michigan on my motorcycle. It was a little nerve racking at first because it was my first long trip on my bike but I settled down eventually and the weather cleared up. I was able to get out there and have a little adventure, see places I've never seen, and have a sense of freedom that is impossible when borrowing a vehicle.


Fort Mackinac

Mackinaw Bridge From the Lower Peninsula

From the UP

 A beautiful little Town in the UP on top of a hill.

Same Town - Town Hall

My Ride. I didn't have to wait for traffic to clear here. In fact, I dismounted to relieve myself, turned around and saw my bike in the waning light and decided to take a pic. I didn't see a car for the 5+ minutes I was there. That was typical of this road's traffic.

First sight of Lake Superior 

Duluth/Superior - Still a Shipping town

Wisconsin - I don't feel like any of my pictures did it justice but the greenery and clean countryside feel to Wisconsin was very beautiful to take in.

The Mississippi's Humble beginnings

Americana

My first stop was Roseau MN for a wedding. One of my colleagues from Nanchang was getting married so it was like a Nanchang reunion. This was the rehearsal dinner.
  

Amazing soil in Roseau

Only 10 minutes from the border Michael and I went to experience some stereotypical Canadian breakfast.

Merrilee and her man Aaron.

The Nanchang Crowd

Next stop was the Twin Cities. Goofing around with Kristen - a Nanchang friend as well - and eating Camel Burgers.

After Minneapolis I stopped taking pictures but I had a really good time in Chicago with a great friend from my Hillsdale days. This trip was like water to my soul just from the places I was able to see and the people I was able to spend time with.
















3 comments:

Paul M in Nanchang said...

Love Lake Mackinac Lighthouses. Spent lots of time from Boston to Maine collecting (visiting) lighthouses. Loved the Superior pics. too. Got to get up there. Wisconsin IS a beautiful state, having passed through it on AMTRAK. Unfortunately it was getting dark, so I missed most of it. I have 3 former Chinese students in Milwaukee right now.

chinadventure said...

Nice! I've never done the train in America.

Sharkbytes said...

Glad you were able to get away and have a fun trip and see some friends too.